Coconuts taste fantastic! Besides the incredibly amazing experience one can have when eating coconuts, there are many other reasons to eat this wonderful delicacy! The young coconut is a natural isotonic beverage, with the same level of electrolytic balance as we have in our blood. In fact, during the Pacific War of 1941-45, both sides in the conflict regularly used coconut water - siphoned directly from the nut - to give emergency plasma transfusions to wounded soldiers.
It's the fluid of life! Coconut water is the very stuff of nature, biologically pure, full of natural sugars, salts, and vitamins to ward off fatigue... it is the next wave of energy drinks BUT natural!
Used in smoothies, soups, milks, noodles, or as a base for deserts, coconuts lend their creamy texture and are high in vitamins and minerals. When used in the diet, it can assist in controlling weight. Coconut Oil with its medium-chain fatty acids produces energy, not fat!
Coconut meat and Coconut oil have been a major source of food and medicine for thousands of years by millions of people in tropical areas (Asia, PacificIslands, Africa, and Central America). These people have traditionally had better health than people in North America and Europe with less heart disease, cancer, digestive complaints or prostate problems
In the processing of Cold Pressed Coconut Oil no chemicals or high heat treatments are used. This oil contains no trans fatty acids and has the longest shelf life of any plant oil due to its anti-oxidant properties. Coconut Oil can be solid or liquid at room temperature, depending on the temperature of your home. It does not need to be refrigerated, but should be stored in a dark place or in a dark jar.
Some additional benefits of Coconut Oil include:
· Strengthens and boosts the immune system
· May aid in weight loss; it's lower in calories than other oils and boosts metabolism
· Conditions the skin and scalp (no dandruff) and may help thicken hair
· May help fight bladder and kidney infections
· May help Crohn's disease, leaky gut syndrome, colitis and digestive problems
· May prevent gum disease, dental cavities. A study of Pacific Islanders who never brushed their teeth, never flossed, didn't use mouthwash, and never saw dentists, showed they had exquisite dental health.
· Pacific Islanders use Coconut oil for ear infections, and to prevent flu and colds
· May help prevent enlarged prostate, herpes, parasites, mold and fungi
· May prevent epilepsy in children and adults
· Prevents heart problems, chronic fatigue, liver disease and food allergies
· May shrink ovarian cysts
· May help prevent an under-active thyroid due to lack of iodine, selenium and too many pollutants, pesticides, and mercury.
· Coconut Oil has lauric acid, with proven antiviral and antibacterial properties
· Coconut Oil helps improve mineral absorption, helps the gallbladder digest fats.
· Coconut Oil can be used to kill viruses
· May help with diabetes. It's vegetable oils that contribute to diabetes. Diabetics have no fear with Coconut Oil.
(from The Coconut Research Center)
There are many different kinds of coconut oil and many different manufacturing processes. It's best to use Organic, Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil and well as eat fresh coconut meat and milk. Not all saturated fats are unhealthy. Those found in mother's milk and coconut oil are medium- chain fatty acids that have remarkable health benefits. Lauric Acid is also found in coconut oil and has great anti-viral properties.
Coconut Oil should be a major component of baby formula as it provides many of the same nutrients as human breast milk. Put it in your baby's bottles and in their cereal too.
The boost in energy from Coconut Oil is not like that of caffeine; it's subtle and lasts longer. Metabolism is elevated for at least 24 hours.
So eat your coconuts! Preferably with a straw and one of those little umbrellas stuck on the side, while soaking in a hot bath.
Websites to visit:
The Coconut Reseach Center
Coconut Reasearch by Coconut Oil.com
Research by Dr. Mary Enig
How to open a baby coconut
Try my favorite green coconut smoothie!
Green Monkey Face Smoothie
In a blender combine until smooth:
1 Chilled Young Thai Coconut- meat and milk
2 cups of Organic Baby Spinach
Add a little ice if desired